Attention Local 655 partners working at Bon Appetit,
As many of you may have heard by now, it does not appear that Bon Appetit will have their contract with Washington University renewed for the 2023-2024 school year, meaning their contract would expire on May 18.
While this surely creates uncertainty and stress for you and your coworkers, Local 655 is committed to protecting you and your interests through this difficult time. Let me clarify a few key points:
- While it appears that Bon Appetit will not continue with Washington University, the school will still need a high quality food service employer, which will need high quality food service employees like you.
- Washington University has received numerous bids for a new food service provider and that new company — no matter who it may be — will seek to hire many if not all of you that wish to continue working there
- At such time a new employer hires a majority of former Bon Appetit workers, that employer is required by law to negotiate with your union, Local 655, for a new union contract for you.
- We will be taking an active role in this process, which includes making sure Washington University understands the importance of bringing in a food service employer that will treat employees with dignity and respect
- This also means making sure that Washington University understands the importance of retaining as many high quality food service employees like you!
- We are have already began engaging with community organizations and advocates to ensure that Washington University understands the importance of contracting with an employer that will meet your needs, honor its legal commitments, and engage in a process that will be to your benefit.
Rest assured there is nothing more important to me and my staff than taking care of you our partners at this time. Know that your union family is here for you and will keep you updated during this trying time.
If you have any questions in the meantime, please contact Nikki Rich at 314-488-6511.
– David Cook
President, Local 655